Elena is an attorney and executive director at Northwest Advocacy Foundation. A Seattle native, Elena earned her J.D., magna cum laude, at Seattle University School of Law.
While in law school, Elena was a judicial extern to the Honorable Judge Lisa Sutton at the Washington Court of Appeals, Division II. There, she learned about court processes and procedures, and gained insight to what judges are looking for from litigants. She also interned at the Washington State Attorney General’s Office in the Dependency Unit, where she quickly realized that there was a dramatic need for affordable legal services in the community. This drove her to form Northwest Advocacy Foundation while still in law school.
After becoming licensed, Elena completed a year-long fellowship with Eastside Legal Assistance Program. There, she represented individuals in domestic violence and family law matters. As a Fellow, she learned more about the nuances of working with survivors of domestic violence.
• Washington State Bar Association, Low Bono Section, Executive Committee
• Washington State Bar Association, Moderate Means Program, participating attorney
Juris Doctor, Seattle University School of Law, magna cum laude, 2016
Trustee Law Scholarship recipient, 2013, 2014, and 2015
• Supreme Court Pro Bono Publico Honor Roll 2016–2018
• Grantee, Seattle University School of Law Incubator Program, 2017
• Community Choice Award, Harriet Stephenson Business Plan Competition, 2016
• McKinley Irvin Family Law Scholarship recipient, 2016